Around the Web (Part 2)

Check out these recent articles from around the web:

U.S. Holocaust museum says this Muslim minority could face genocide by Ishaan Tharoor: “The official American institution memorializing the Holocaust sounded the alarm this week on the threat of a genocide facing the beleaguered Rohingya of Burma, one of the world’s most neglected communities.”

Paul Ryan loves talking about poverty, but he keeps getting the basic facts wrong by Dylan Matthews: “But for all Ryan’s rhetoric on poverty, he’s also the author of a series of budgets that would absolutely wreck programs for the American poor, inflicting massive human suffering on the nation’s most vulnerable residents. It’s never been exactly clear how Ryan would resolve this tension, but his appearance on Face the Nation suggests he’s going to try to make his poverty programs work with his budgets‚ which is to say he’s going to argue that taking trillions away from the poor is somehow actually good for them.”

Five Minutes With Francis: What would you say to the pope?: “We would probably talk about soccer.”

How to revive the American Dream by Elizabeth Warren and Bill de Blasio: “Trickle-down economics failed disastrously. The rich and powerful have become richer and more powerful . In the past 35 years, the top 10 percent got all the growth in income. The rest of America — 90 percent of Americans — got nothing. Zip. Zero. Government policies matter and can make a difference.”

The Migrants’ Lament by Bishop Gerald Kicanas: “Francis’ presence will call our nation to complete the frustrated effort to pass comprehensive immigration policy reform and encourage our blessed nation to work to enhance and improve the economy of sending nations as well as to remind our country to be our brother’s keeper, to help respond to the inequality still so prominent in the world.”

Transportation Emerges as Crucial to Escaping Poverty by Mikayla Bouchard: “In a large, continuing study of upward mobility based at Harvard, commuting time has emerged as the single strongest factor in the odds of escaping poverty. The longer an average commute in a given county, the worse the chances of low-income families there moving up the ladder.”

Kerry Robinson: The Church Deserves Women in Leadership by Jennifer Labbadia: “If the Church is to be merciful and effective in attending to the needs of the poorest among us, and if we want to take seriously the deleterious effects of war, inequity, climate change, violence, lack of access to clean water, food, education and safety, then we must see the faces of women and their children who represent the largest percentage of people suffering. That is the way to really respond to Pope Francis’ overarching invitation to all of us to accompany the poor but it is also an opportunity to really highlight women and girls.”

Who Am I to Lead? by Elizabeth Tenety: “So with Pope Francis—whom The Boston Globe’s John Allen reported to be the first pope who ever had a woman as a boss—encouraging continued conversation about women in the church, many Catholics in the United States see a new era for engagement and with it a new vision for what female leadership in the church can be.”

The Future Of The Catholic Church by Kerry Weber: “All we can do is keep working with others to try to build up the kingdom of God, even if we can’t quite tell what it will look like. Because we believe that the Holy Spirit will continue to guide the church toward what is true and good and beautiful. We never know what the Holy Spirit will do next. And that’s exactly what is so exciting.”