In a series of tweets, Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago wrote:
- The president’s misguided decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord does not diminish our responsibility to care for the planet.
- Environmental stewardship is a global issue and requires a spirit of cooperation, not the national individualism sadly displayed yesterday.
- Climate change is real. Failing to protect the earth is not just a failure of leadership. It is a moral failure.
- It is a moral failure because it is an issue of life or death, especially for the poor, the first to suffer the effects of climate change.
- Let us resolve together to continue the fight to protect our common home.